[BC] Turning lemons into cherry cola

Rich Wood richwood
Fri Jul 28 19:35:43 CDT 2006

------ At 06:35 PM 7/28/2006, Robert Orban wrote: -------

>Are you saying that entrepreneurs shouldn't be able risk capital
>with the hope of future returns? What does investment by satellite
>services have to do with the price of tea in China? Are you saying
>that iBiquity doesn't deserve to get cash flow unless they invest as
>much as the satellite services? What's your point?

The purveyors of Chinese tea have known for years there's a market
almost everywhere. I'm more concerned with the price of Chinese tea
in the US. My point, and I believe you know it, is that satellite
companies spent huge amounts of money not knowing if the would be a
market. They took a risk and had all their ducks in a row before
launching the services. They didn't ask anyone to buy a receiver with
the promise of future programming. It was there the minute I turned
the receiver on.

The IBUZ manufacturer is expecting radio stations to become unwilling
investors before the system works. Do you sell processors before
you're sure they work on the promise that, one day, we'll figure out
how to get it to sound good?

>"Guaranteed killing?"  IBOC is voluntary on both the TX and RX side.
>Ultimately, the market will determine its survival (or not).

Very dangerous to expect consumers will replace 600-800 receivers.
Get out of your lab and ask retailers and consumers what the interest
level is for IBUZ. That's what I do at least once a month. Very
wearisome aggressive apathy.

Rich