[BC] It wasn't the President this time.

Scott Fybush scott
Thu Jul 27 21:50:55 CDT 2006

gRAdy Moates wrote:
>> Every mic has a listener or two. . .
>
>     . . .and every mike is ALWAYS ON (unless it has a little
> slide switch on it that you can slide to the "OFF" position.
>
>     Mikes are connected to preamps that have pre-fader outputs,
> and that audio can be tapped off and fed into punch blocks,
> and sent all over a station.  I know of owners who did this
> so they could keep tabs on employees' doings.  They could listen
> in on at least one mike in every studio.

And in the case of a modern router-based digital audio system like the
Wheatstone I work with at WXXI here in Rochester, the audio from any
mike in any studio in the building can (at least in theory) be brought
up at any time on any fader on any console in the building, with no user
feedback to indicate that the mike is live. It's a VERY good reason to
be even more mindful of the "always on" rule of thumb!

(In practice, most of the inputs on most of the boards are limited in
software to a very small selection of the hundreds of available input
sources...but even so...)