[BC] It wasn't the President this time.

Paul Smith W4KNX paul
Thu Jul 27 15:26:42 CDT 2006

The real fun ones are the SNG satellite channels.  Many moons ago when I was
doing SCPC installs for radio stations I used to tune across Westar and
watch Max Robinson's ABC feed from Chicago to NY.  When he wasnt on, he had
quite a colorful vocabulary.  There was a woman on CNN from New York named
Mary something that used to sing "Incest is best" when she wasnt actually on
the air, and tussle with her hair, on the feed from NY to Atlanta.  This was
before the home satellite craze started.  Those were the days when a 500
degree LNA was over $2,000.00.  Boy have things changed.

Paul Smith
Sarasota, FL

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net]On Behalf Of Bill Croghan
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 3:45 PM
To: 'Broadcasters' Mailing List'
Subject: RE: [BC] It wasn't the President this time.

Scott,
	Actually their reason for monitoring is varied.  Some are Broadcast
wanna be's.  Some enjoy the technical talk, Others have found as I have,
that what they hear on the TV ENG channels is often more interesting and
complete than the actual over the air reports.  I tune the traffic report
frequencies so I don't have to punch around to see what station is doing  it
live at the moment.  I know of very few complaints that resulted from RPU
listening.  In one case a long series of off color, racially prejudicial
jokes being told by the remote guy to the guy at the studio resulted in
fines, and in another, a client's brother heard the remote jock bad mouthing
the client to the board op between breaks.  That cost several thousand
dollars in cancellations.
	One person's idea of life may be another's boredom, but that's
called freedom.  Remembering that all mics are potentially live at all
times, is just plain professionalism and common sense in this business.

Bill