[BC] stamping opinions

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Wed Jul 26 13:05:20 CDT 2006

On 26 Jul 2006 at 12:10, Peter Moncure wrote:

> If insufficient technical leadership or motivation to acquire same
> exists at FCC, could the market (us, representing our consumers) decide
> and petition for all AM radios to have software-upgradeable digital
> innards?  Why not?  Once you have a chip or two into which you can plug
> IBAC or DRM or next week's newbie, at least your penetration issue is
> slowly eroded.

The problem is the FCC claims they need an act of Congress to regulate
receiver standards. That didn't stop them from mandating UHF tuners
way back when, but the current crowd seems cut from less stern stuff.

It seems receiver standards are somewhat like First Phone Licenses,
very desirable, but politically impossible.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037