[BC] Making engineering pay

Glen Kippel glen.kippel
Mon Jul 24 13:38:44 CDT 2006

On 7/24/06, Jeff Johnson <jjohnson at goodnews.net> wrote:

> In another life I was a photography professional. I charged (in the '60's)
> $5.00/ b/w print. My best client thought that was too much after buying my
> work for a number of years. He went with another photographer for a year
> or
> so. He called me with, literally, an 'eating crow' comment and wondered if
> I would still work for him. Of course I would and did.
>
> It is the same way with my contract work now. Quality costs, but is
> economical.

I have heard it said that more businesses go broke by charging too little
than by charging too much.  I would rather pay somebody who knows what they
are doing $100 an hour for one hour than somebody who doesn't $10 an hour
for 10 hours of fumbling around, knowing that at they end they will probably
just muck it up anyway.  Just my opinion, of course.