[BC] Question About A Daytimer

Scott Fybush scott
Mon Jul 24 12:59:13 CDT 2006

Bob Foxworth wrote:
>> Ok folks, maybe I'm missing something here.... so someone can clue me
> in.
>> WGOD-AM 1090 in Charlotte Amalie, Virgin Islands is listed as 250 Watt
>> Daytimer.

> Just a guess from me, but perhaps the British and French
> have some sort of veto power over them using a stronger
> allocation, due to geographical proximity of their territories.
> Maybe Scott Fybush can add something here (I am on the
> digest feed, so perhaps he already did. If so, I apologize)
>
> Another thought, maybe they do the job they want to do,
> with existing facilities and don't want to, or can't afford,
> an upgrade. I heard them for a bit when I was in that
> area last January on a carnival cruise ship.

I haven't weighed in on this yet, but I think Bob is probably on to
something with the second point. A lot of the stations in the Caribbean
operate on very limited budgets with fairly minimal facilities, and
power's generally pretty expensive down there. If 250 watts covers the
area WGOD wants to cover, why spend the money on purchasing and powering
anything bigger?

Even some of the region's big guns, like Trans World Radio on Bonaire,
have scaled back when they've found they don't need all the power they
were using. TWR used to run 500 kW on 800, but they were able to serve
the areas they wanted to serve with only 100 kW, so the big rig is gone now.

As for the question of who WGOD is protecting, it could easily be a
South American station. They enter into skywave calculations for
US-licensed stations in the Caribbean. There's also ZDK 1100 on nearby
Antigua, which might be a factor.