[BC] Terrestrial Radio fights back

Rich Wood richwood
Fri Jul 21 14:16:08 CDT 2006

------ At 02:00 PM 7/21/2006, Bailey, Scott wrote: -------

>It's working in Nashville! Everywhere I got, people are listening to it!
>This means if some of the O & O's that own and manage AM stations like
>mine, we can do something similar to it and just maybe hold an audience.

Don't do it just yet. I'm assuming you're talking about WCJK-FM. It's
had three significantly down books: Summer 05 it had an 8.0 share.
Fall 05 it dropped dramatically to 6.1 and in the Winter 06 book it
dropped to 5.5. The trends don't look much better. First Spring 06
trend was 5.7, the second is a 4.7. Either the third trend is awesome
or it'll be another down book once everything is weighted.

>What is so funny about this area, people are so dumb thinking all we do
>is listen to country music....WRONG!  The number one station in the
>Nashville Market is a Hip Hop Urban Station, owned by CC.

Who thinks that? Nashville is known for producing Country music.
Recording studios there have that "Nashville" sound every Country
artist wants, even in crossover cuts. That doesn't mean everyone
listens to it. The top Country station there is 2.9 shares below the
#1 station which is Urban, though the total Country share among 5
stations is a 15.5. The Urban stations share a total 13.6. The
figures are 12+ but they're still ears listening to radio. The only
relevance the demos have is to the sales department. More individuals
listen to Country than Urban. When I was in New York the "ethnic"
stations (Urban and Spanish) complained loudly that their numbers
were much higher, yet their rates much lower. They've since
discovered that Urban is very popular with White suburban kids.

Those stations with Maximiser have probably discovered the Urban
audience is younger when they break out the demos.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia
Phone: 413-454-3258