[BC] Small Market Wage

Dana Puopolo dpuopolo
Fri Jul 21 10:03:58 CDT 2006

Why should wages be set by market size for enginees anyway?
The furnace repair guy desn't get half the rate for working in market 160.
Neither does the plumber, electrician or car repair guy. My cable TV rates
aren't any cheaper whether I'm in NYC or East Oshkosh. Neither are my utility
or telephone charges. Housing costs in some small 'boutique' markets can be
HIGHER then that in big cities!

I can understand the disparity for talent, but engineers? The work we do is
the same whether we're fixing an FM25K in Chicago or Presque Isle, Maine. In
fact, fixing that rig in Maine can be HARDER due to the inabilty to have local
parts available.

Why?

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: "JYRussell at academicplanet.com" <jyrussell at academicplanet.com>
Subject: [BC] Small Market Wage

What's the current pay range for small market full-time engineering?  Top of
scale, bottom of scale, the "about normal" money people usually get paid for
CE positions in small market stations?

I'm trying to put together some budget paperwork.
I really need to find this info, so if you need, send a reply directly to
this address.

Thanks,
Jason

Do you have a BDR? http://www.oldradio.com/bdr.htm