[BC] Speedometers on Cars. Do we need them?...

Robert Meuser Robertm
Wed Jul 19 12:08:23 CDT 2006

Scott,

you are very correct, a scope is the very best way to measure AM
modulation. There is not a monitor in existence or ever built for AM or
FM that does not have some kind of ballistic limitation. It is nice to
have a mod monitor for proof measurements, but depending on the type, a
good diode detector does that as well or better and without and
significant bandwidth limitations.

I can not count the times I have seen a mod monitor read one thing and
the scope showing carrier cut off. If you want the best possible AM
sound, you NEED a scope to set negative mod.  As I stated earlier, no
one really cares where the positives go although Jeff W and Willie both
offered perfectly good means of measuring them.