[BC] Speedometers on Cars. Do we need them?...

Bailey, Scott SBailey
Wed Jul 19 11:39:37 CDT 2006

Dennis,
   There is nothing against having a mod monitor, but the commission
doesn't require it and a good scope I think is the best. I know of one
station that the commission came to inspect in this area.  The station
has no mod monitor at the studio, nor transmitter site.  It was a 500
watt AM.  They walked in the transmitter site, took a look at the bar
graph on the BE transmitter, looked at the meter readings, then left. No
question came up about a mod monitor.

Scott

When I bought my stations 11 years ago, neither the AM nor the FM had
mod
monitors. Several good engineers and an FCC Field Inspector have been
through my plant. Nobody's ever indicated that I need to have seperate
mod
monitors in place. The Optimod on the AM and the exciter on my FM have
pretty-colored Bouncy Bars, so I use them.

As a small-market owner/operator, the money comes directly out of my
pocket,
and I've not spent it there. I have, however, spent the money on a new
Nautel to replace an old RCA, and trenched and pvc'd about 400 feet of
new
coax out to the tower. Not afraid to spend money when I have to, but
can't
waste it, either.

Dennis Switzer
KKTY AM/FM