[BC] Speedometers on Cars. Do we need them?...

KKTY kkty
Wed Jul 19 10:59:02 CDT 2006

Ahh, Burt, that's cold...

...and it's a great line - I love it!

Since my name's being bandied about, here, I'll jump in. I'm certainly not
against having a mod monitor in line. Far as I'm concerned, any extra info
on how my station's running is a good thing, and if somebody boxed up an old
one and sent it to me free, I'd probably hook it up.

When I bought my stations 11 years ago, neither the AM nor the FM had mod
monitors. Several good engineers and an FCC Field Inspector have been
through my plant. Nobody's ever indicated that I need to have seperate mod
monitors in place. The Optimod on the AM and the exciter on my FM have
pretty-colored Bouncy Bars, so I use them.

As a small-market owner/operator, the money comes directly out of my pocket,
and I've not spent it there. I have, however, spent the money on a new
Nautel to replace an old RCA, and trenched and pvc'd about 400 feet of new
coax out to the tower. Not afraid to spend money when I have to, but can't
waste it, either.

Dennis Switzer
KKTY AM/FM
Douglas, WY