[BC] X-lators for Daytimers (WAS:NAB Newsletter)

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Wed Jul 19 07:55:37 CDT 2006

In a message dated 07/19/2006 08:05:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
SBailey at nespower.com writes:

> Willie,
>     I think the whole idea is to do away with analog AM. This will force
>  the listeners of WFIF to buy an IBOC Radio to hear you.

That's why there's been so much discussion about replacing so many millions
of radios!

I've seen some argue that we didn't need to *replace* AM radios when FM came
out, and yes... that's true! *BUT* it is only true because when FM came out,
it did *not* obliterate the AM band with high-powered noise generators! As more
and more FM stations went on the air, existing AM radios were just as useful,
and existing AM signals (even the weaker ones) were still just as listenable.
Throw enough IBUZ signals on the air and the whole band becomes useless to
analog-only radios, thus *mandating* their replacement.

Once again, John Q. Public is going to say "What's in it for me?" then just
crank up their iPods.

>  I'm sure by the
>  time this happens, you will be able to get to Wal-Mart and by a IBOC AM
>  Radio for about 20 bucks.

Well, even at $20, I just don't see the AM band being very conducive to a
data format, be it IBUZ or DRM. (Tho DRM seems better able to handle skywave
effects.) This band is best suited to long-range & skywave propagation.

>     Also, I've scan read this Willie, but I hear the NAB wants to see us
>  daytimers get FM Translators to cover what the little area we can't
>  cover at night.

I was under the impression that this was as good as absolute taboo. Good to
see some rumor of the changing of minds, here. I hope it happens!

>  I know your not suppose to be on at all a night, but
>  don't worry, if this gets pushed through, WFIF will get a FM translator
>  for nighttime operation.

This would be an answer to not only our prayers, but those of many of our
listeners. Year after year, we get inquiries as to why we have to leave the air
so early every fall. (Obviously these are *new* listeners!)

There are some stations in this area that have (IMHO) far too many
translators, which are well within said stations own primary coverage. (I can hear them
on several places on the dial, in addition to their main & high-power repeater
signals.) Give some of those frequencies to LPFM stations and the rest to us
Daytimers. (We're not the only Daytimer who'd pounce on such an opportunity!)

>    This rule should apply to "Stand Alone AM Daytimers", like mine and
>  yours, not AM's with sister FM's!

Agreed, 100%. There are several Daytimers in this area who fit that category.
I think that stations with pittance night power should also get an FM x-lator
frequency.

Willie...