[BC] Modulation Monitors...

Robert Meuser Robertm
Wed Jul 19 02:37:00 CDT 2006

Must disagree, Burt.

The FCC uses a scope for both AM and FM modulation measurements. The
original discussion was limited to AM operation where a scope is the
best way to check modulation. I agree that positive modulation  is a
little more difficult to observe but then I know of no station that
observes the positive modulation rule.  Harold stated a while back on
one of the lists that from his records no station has ever been cited
for positive over mod.  I know of major stations in the top groups that
will not accept equipment that does not do at least 145% positive mod. I
have never accepted at TX that does less than 165% positive mod and have
never run a TX at anything less than 150%. My antenna systems are
contractually speced for 200% mod with continuous tone bursts.