[BC] Modulation Monitors...

Burt I. Weiner biwa
Wed Jul 19 01:27:55 CDT 2006

Any station that does not have a properly working modulation monitor
for their transmitter/s is fooling themselves and whoever is
responsible should have their head examined.  If you think the
bargraphs on the front of the transmitter are going to tell you
what's happening, you're wrong.  A scope is fine to a point but it
won't tell you if you're modulating 115, 120 or 125 percent positive
peaks under dynamic program conditions.  You cannot resolve
modulation close enough with a scope under program conditions.

Burt

At 01:11 PM 7/18/2006, you wrote:
>From: Alan Alsobrook <radiotech at bellsouth.net>
>Subject: Re: [BC] Modualtion Monitors (do we need them?)
>
>You don't need a "modulation monitor" but you do need to have a method
>of determining your modulation.
>
>Modern processors do a good job of keeping the modulation consistent and
>limiting at their set point, but you need something to determine that
>you have them set correctly. If caught in violation, without a means to
>determine modulation not only could you be written up for the over
>modulation, you can add unable to determine modulation. 73.1350(c)
>
>Bailey, Scott wrote:
> > To the group:
> >
> >     How many of you, (excluding the big Class A stations) that take care
> > of stand alone AM's, have or use a modulation monitor?  In a previous
> > conversation with Dennis at KKTY on this list, he made mention he
> > doesn't use one. He relies on his Orban 9300 to take care of not over
> > modulating.
>
>--
>Alan Alsobrook CSRE AMD CBNT
>St. Augustine Fl. 32086 904-829-8885