[BC] From NAB Newsletter

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Tue Jul 18 11:51:04 CDT 2006

On 17 Jul 2006 at 13:03, Bailey, Scott wrote:

>    I think I'm may be holding my breath too long if I have to wait for
> the $99.00 HD Receiver at Best Buy.

Scott,

Annualized, the rate of iPod sales has been over
30 million and the price has begun to drop under
your magic $99 figure. If BA built Receptors at
that rate I suspect they would be selling for
$79.95 or less.

If you put it in constant dollar terms the little
red $9.95 Regency hit the market when $10 was the
virtual equivalent of $100 today in terms of
purchasing power. There are enough markets with
multiple signals today that production of sets
will soon begin to ramp up.

I wouldn't hold my breath right now either, but
we may see changes in six months to a year. That's
the way mass production works, and when the various
manufacturers' sausage machines start rolling we
will see prices drop. It appears to be Detroit
that's dragging its feet after all the promises of
availability "next year" for the past three years.
However, once set sales increase, one of them will
will include IBOC and the rest will follow.

IBOC has plenty of problems and challenges to be
met, but I seriously doubt that availability at
an attractive price will be one of them.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037