[BC] From NAB Newsletter

Rich Wood richwood
Tue Jul 18 11:36:49 CDT 2006

------ At 11:08 AM 7/18/2006, Brian Urban wrote: -------

>Texas Instruments has a mobile chip project, code named Da Vinci.  Time
>frame is about 1 year to introduction.  A long time, yes, but reasonable
>power consumption devices are more that "on the drawing board"

I heard that one a long time ago. Once the chip is done, someone has
to insert it, painlessly, into something inorganic. Just getting a
different display on existing receivers, if the manufacturers saw a
need, (programmers do) takes a complete product cycle. I'm told it
ain't gonna happen.

>The reason satellite radio systems are so cheap is that both XM and Sirius
>subsidize receivers cost directly to manufacturers and retailers.  Some
>organizations are looking at taking a page from the XM/Sirius book and may
>subsidize HD receivers.  We are talking CASH money, not inventory/funny
>money.

What organizations are there beyond the HD Dominion? Remember that
SIRIUS and XM use real money and spread it right into the hands of
the salespeople. One salesperson told me he sells what he gets paid
to sell. Right now the spiffs come from satellite radio. Not many
audio salespeople have much use for radio inventory.

Rich