[BC] Re: Mobile streaming - who needs IBOC?

Dick Pache dick
Tue Jul 18 10:11:00 CDT 2006

Mobile streaming will soon have new face The FCC 700Mhz auctions have
resulted in DVB-H and MediaFlo hand held mobile TV and radio like streaming.

Olde TV Ch 55 is being used with high power transmitters in high tier sites
and lower power transmitters in SFN(Single Frequency Networks) GPS
synchronized

The business models are still developing but the cellular carriers will
likely supply the hand held units and use their network to request the
streams.

Japan Korea and Europe are using related technology (T-DMB and ISBD-one seg)
and the hand held units are available.

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of R J Carpenter
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 5:19 PM
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: [BC] Re: Mobile streaming - who needs IBOC?

Let me repeat, mobile streaming HAS to have a different protocol than
that in use for telephone-like service.  It HAS to be a connectionless
broadcast protocol with lots of forward error correction - like used
by HD radio and the satcasters.

I don't see how a connection-oriented protocol like present cell
services will ever be economically viable for broadcasting.

The two protocols should be able to coexist on the same cell system.

How to pay for it?  Just like satcasters' subscriptions - probably on
your cell-phone bill.  Receivers would be individually addressable and
a roster of "allowed" channels downloaded at infrequent intervale once
past the initial activation.  It seems to me that the satcasters have
essentially all the details worked out.  They just don't choose to
authorize individual channels except for a few cases like XM's failed
experiments with premium pricing.

bob c.