[BC] Re: Mobile streaming - who needs IBOC?

R J Carpenter rcarpen
Mon Jul 17 17:21:09 CDT 2006

Let me repeat, mobile streaming HAS to have a different protocol than
that in use for telephone-like service.  It HAS to be a connectionless
broadcast protocol with lots of forward error correction - like used
by HD radio and the satcasters.

I don't see how a connection-oriented protocol like present cell
services will ever be economically viable for broadcasting.

The two protocols should be able to coexist on the same cell system.

How to pay for it?  Just like satcasters' subscriptions - probably on
your cell-phone bill.  Receivers would be individually addressable and
a roster of "allowed" channels downloaded at infrequent intervale once
past the initial activation.  It seems to me that the satcasters have
essentially all the details worked out.  They just don't choose to
authorize individual channels except for a few cases like XM's failed
experiments with premium pricing.

bob c.