[BC] From NAB Newsletter

Rich Wood richwood
Tue Jul 18 08:35:10 CDT 2006

------ At 05:03 AM 7/18/2006, Robert Orban wrote: -------

>Thanks to cellphone developments over the last 20 years,
>semiconductor manufacturers now know how to make very low power
>digital receivers and DSP. There is no reason why they can't
>leverage these techniques to IBOC. It's not going to take another 20 years.

No one's questioning that the technological capability is there. The
real problem is that the consumers aren't. 600-800 million
replacement receivers (a conservative estimate) for people who see no
need. The suggestion that the "IBUZ Revolution" will be complete in 5
years would be hysterically funny if it weren't so deceptive. You, of
all people, know the lead time to design, manufacture and distribute
a new product. Mike Bergman of Kenwood says about 3 years. That
leaves two years to sell 600-800 million receivers. We'll have to
raid every used car dealership to get enough salespeople willing to
push this product. They're the only ones who'll be able to sleep
nights doing it.

I'm going on four months since the first IBUZ receiver appeared in a
store in Western MA. Still, only three have been sold - all to radio
people. Not a single "civilian" non-radio person has even asked about
them. Only a single "HD Radio Ready" car receiver is available. The
required external tuner is not stocked. They stock every satellite
service tuner for every brand available.

I believe it's going to take longer than 20 years to have enough
receivers in the hands of diary-filling listeners to be valuable to
advertisers. I don't believe the average listener is going climb up
on his roof and install an antenna to listen to "regular radio."
Unfortunately, the only receiver I can buy today, plug in and hear a
high power, close-in station out of the box is the BA Receptor.

Have you heard any manufacturer with a pocket-sized receiver on the
drawing board? Without that low power chip available in large
quantities, who's likely to design a receiver not even knowing what
the pinouts are likely to be? Is anyone you know of designing either
the chip or a receiver to use it? Thanks to satellite radio the price
point is $99 often with a $50 rebate. The big box stores won't have
them until that price point is reached. In this market, the only
retailer carrying the BA Receptor is Tweeter. That doesn't come from
consumer demand. It comes from a deal between Tweeter and Boston
Acoustics. In the store, the radio is deaf unless connected to the
rooftop antenna. The Yamaha AV receiver receives everything even with
the BA rat tail antenna deep in the bowels of the store.

This is going to be AM Stereo all over again, only faster. Some WiFi
technology, I believe will leapfrog IBUZ and marinas will be
inundated with IBUZ receivers camouflaged as boat anchors.

With the FCC bowing to the manufacturer's will and delaying nighttime
operation I believe AM IBUZ is a dead issue. It MUST be 24/7 or we'll
have the equivalent of Black and White TV after sunset. For FM, where
will the advertising dollars come from for 7,000 new radio stations?
All it'll do is lower the rates of existing inventory. A "Dollar a
Holler" will be reality even in major markets.

Remember CDs. How many manufacturers were on the bandwagon quickly? I
had a CD player before there were any CDs to play on it. Same with
DVDs. Same with cell phones. Unique new technology that pushed the
state of the art forward fast.

Rich