[BC] From NAB Newsletter

Robert Meuser Robertm
Mon Jul 17 15:56:30 CDT 2006

I think battery life is a red herring. Technology evolves. Look at cell
phones. The early ones ran a few hours and were both large and heavy.
Now a digital phone easily is enclosed by the average sized palm and
runs in some cases for days.

I remember the prototype Eureka receiver, about 10 RU of hand wired
circuit boards. This always happens when new technology is evolving.
Right now, a number of receivers are using the TI general purpose DSP
set usually with the TI code. This is a good start but not the end game.
Eventually highly specialized single function chips will be in receivers
that are small and don't consume a lot of power.

At this point in time it is better to have more generalized chip sets as
specs and features change and believe me they will.