[BC] Re:Emergency Studio

Tom Taggart tpt
Sun Jul 16 08:03:39 CDT 2006

For those of us with separate studio and transmitter sites, it's easy to place all our focus on emergency planning at the transmitter site. The transmitter sites are often in isolated areas, with uncertain power, and exposed to the elements. While the studio is downtown with reliable power and protected against the elements. So we invest in back-up power at the transmitter site.

Then there comes the day when a gas leak forces evacuation of the city block where your studios are located. Or a high-voltage transmission line 100 miles away sags into a tree on a hot day. Killing power in a five state area that includes your studio. Your transmitter is on the air, you've got plenty to say...but no way to say it. A cheap Mackie mixer, a 635 on a stand, and a cd player plugged into an 8100 at the transmitter site looks mighty attractive at that point! --