[BC] Emergency studio

Wade Giddens wg345
Sun Jul 16 06:19:41 CDT 2006

For EAS, that is what I did last year when we had an STL failure. I had to
move the processor to the transmitter site and hook up a phone line for an
audio source.  Having a backup processor at the transmitter site would be a
good idea as a backup in case of processor failure.  Optimods must be pretty
rugged, though.  I know of an Optimod FM that has been in constant use since
1985 with no failures and it still sounds good.

 >What about EAS? Well, if you're using your EMERGENCY studio its most
likely
 >going to be due to some sort of emergency, right?

    The answer is very easy. Log the EAS out of service. Not too long
ago, I had to reroute the audio for one station. The EAS box was
bypassed for three days (contract work, part time), and if the FCC came
in, there was a note on the operating log that the EAS was out of
service due to re-wiring. And a note when it was back in service. Me
thinks you can have up to 60 days without special blessings from the
FCC. Not a big deal to do and be legal.

    tom bosscher

p.s., put an old Optimod 8000 or 8100 at the tx site, with a compilation
music CD that the MD makes once a year. That way you can have something
on the air, whether a studio emergency or an STL failure.