[BC] Emergency studio

Stevan A. White w5saw
Sat Jul 15 01:52:00 CDT 2006

A backup studio can be a good thing and doesn't have to take up a lot of
space.  Everything you really need can be easily rack-mounted and even
incorporated into the air chain if you like.  It makes re-routing and
troubleshooting audio problems real easy.

Since you have a 2200 at the studio and the digital output feeds the digital
STL, I'm going to guess that the analog output of the 2200 probably feeds
the studio headphones.  The old analog processor, or a new or used Inovonics
DAVID (one of my personal faves) located at the transmitter makes a lot of
sense in this scenario.  If you want to move the 2200 to the transmitter you
could; but, some sort of protection limiter IS a good idea.  Depending on
the configuration of your Digit CD exciter you might be able to use an
inexpensive compressor-limiter ahead of the analog inputs and leave
everything else in place.  A built-in stereo generator is an option, perhaps
its standard I can't remember, in a Digit exciter.  Then again, if its an
emergency, does it have to be in stereo?

What about EAS?  Well, if you're using your EMERGENCY studio its most likely
going to be due to some sort of emergency, right?  During most emergencies
all bets are off and the rules that aren't broken usually get bent quite a
bit.  I'd hazard a guess that you'll have, at a minimum, a NOAA Wx radio, 1
or 2 wall-wart/battery operated radios, and perhaps a scanner monitoring the
rest of the world.  A second EAS box would be ideal but I've never met
anyone who was eager to buy the first one.

Best Regards,
Steve White, W5SAW
SW Commercial Electronics