[BC] FCC Deletes digital report from today's meeting

Gary Zocolo ambrose
Fri Jul 14 12:35:50 CDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bailey, Scott" <SBailey at nespower.com>
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2006 9:33 AM
Subject: RE: [BC] FCC Deletes digital report from today's meeting

Scott;

While I would agree that local full service radio stations...are pretty much
a thing of the past, I would respectfully disagree that local content is
just about gone. Sucessful stations where I came from thrived on local
content. I hear plenty of local content here on Nashville stations every
day....

Granted, you will not get much local flavor on Jack...but for the other 90%
of the radio listening public (being kind there, Jack does not really
command 10% of the audience)...it truely is available...I hear it every
day...both where I work and across the street at the other guys
places...Local content is not gone. The manner in which it is presented is
much more structured...but if you listen...you will hear lots of it.
Consultants may have "sho-bizzed" and researched the presentation of it to
death, but successful stations here in Nashville and across the country find
success in being local.

This is my personal observation and belief...not a corporate diatribe.

Gary Zocolo
Nashville

The average listener...
Local content radio, with the exception of emergency situations, is just
about gone!

Scott

Another thing: I'm not sure anyone (average listener) cares about night
skywave.

In my small market, I get 4 AM's, and can also get San Antonio 140 miles

and Houston 200 miles. Right now, 820 and 1080 from Dallas barrel in.

But.. at any time in the evening, there's no local content, except a
baseball game. If there is no game, it's 3 signals with the same
satellite
show, only the local ads are different.

So who needs skywave anyhow?!

That's one view. Over-The-Road truckers were / are early adopters of
Satellite (XM/Sirius). and use those services without terrestrial
augmentation. No more trying to pick up the 3-letter powerhouses for
that
overnight drive - just punch up channel xx and enjoy. And do note that
on
XM's lineup there are overnight talk geared to truckers.

mwe

       ) )
      ( (
       ) )
    _|****|   KLTG 96.5   KOUL 103.7  KLHB 98.3  KMJR 105.5
   ( |    |   *My email account, my PC, my ISP, my opinions*
    `|____|   mearle at mearle.com           wa2mct at mearle.com

http://www.radiolists.net/