[BC] IBOC splatter (was: Dealing with IBOC hash problems)

Kevin Tekel amstereoexp
Thu Jul 13 09:52:21 CDT 2006

Scott Bailey wrote:
> The noise is not a hash type noise, but a splatter type noise caused by
> their IBOC exciter. At sunset when the exciter goes off and they go to
> their DA night pattern, it goes away.

710 WOR in NYC is causing the same thing.  When their IBOC is on, their
signal splatters all the way from 680 to 750 kHz.  WOR's engineer says
their signal is clean and compliant at the transmitter site, and I believe
him, but out in the field, this splatter is evident across a wide area --
I've heard it up to 50 miles away on their groundwave signal.  I think
it's caused by strange things going on in their phasor and vintage 1967
directional array.  Hopefully WOR's brand-spanking-new TX site and towers,
which are almost ready to go on the air, will not exhibit this same
problem.