[BC] Dealing with IBOC hash problems

Paul Christensen pchristensen
Wed Jul 12 11:56:39 CDT 2006

> Are the victim stations being interfered with within their protected
> contour? If they are, does a state court have the authority to usurp the
> authority of the FCC?

Unlike the FCC's punitive damages, civil money damages can be heard in a
court of competent jurisdiction.  It would be an interesting exercise to
research a case of first impression and any subsequent case law regarding
similar interference issues in allied services.  When a rule is codified by
the FCC, it becomes an affirmative defense in litigation, assuming the
alleged station causing interference is in compliance - but that's an
evidentiary issue

It's a tricky, procedural area of the law, but I'll leave you with this
thought -- in what part of the FCC rules are IBOC transmissions currently
codified?  Take a look at the FCC's MB web page, specifically information on
the "IBOC Digital Radio Page" for the answers.

Paul

Paul Christensen, CPBE, CBNT
LAW OFFICE OF PAUL B. CHRISTENSEN, P.A.
3749 Southern Hills,  Jacksonville, Florida 32225
Office: (904) 379-7802    Facsimile: (904) 212-0050
pchristensen at ieee.org