Re: [BC] nationwide study illustrates terrestrial radio’s strengths

Steve Newman shnewman
Sat Jul 8 07:50:23 CDT 2006

I'm going to take a stab here. Maybe Dana meant to say we should survey
those who have left radio for other media. Now that would be interesting
material. When the opportunity arrives I try to find out why a person went
from one station to another.

In Dana's defense, (I'm sure he doesn't need me to fend for him) what many
consider sour grapes is not that at all. He gets upset when he sees things
done incorrectly. The very thing I hate about research. It's not the
surveying itself that bothers me it's HOW it's being done. In the case of
this survey he felt it was a closed-loop survey. Well, of course you're
going to get positive responses.

Using your example. To get the best results AOL would want to survey those
who left them for EarthLink. Now you're getting useful information
especially if you start seeing a pattern. I think you see where I'm going.

You're right, doing a survey with those who don't use the medium to begin
with is just as faulty as those who do. Another closed loop research
project.

I, too, get sour about our business because of the way I see things being
handled and it's not just focused on research. :)

Steve Newman
Steve Walker Productions
Opp, AL  36467