[BC] nationwide study illustrates terrestrial radio’s strengths

SteveOrdinetz hykker
Sat Jul 8 06:00:02 CDT 2006

At 11:26 PM 7/7/2006, Dana  Puopolo wrote:
>So let me get this straight..
>They surveyed radio listeners to see how satisfied they are with the radio
>they listen to...  74% (a "C" by anyone's measure) said they liked what they
>heard....
>
>HELLO??? MC FLY???!
>
>Why not survey people who DON'T listen to the radio and find out WHY THEY
>DON'T LISTEN???!!
>
>Or even better...survey the population at large???

Well, aren't we Mr. Sour Grapes today (even more than usual).  Do you EVER
have anything positive to say about an industry from which you presumably
earn your living?

What's the point of surveying the opinions of someone who doesn't use a
product?  Maybe we should survey the public at at large on what they think
of satellite radio...I'd guess the results would come back that a large
portion of the population has never heard of, let alone heard it.  Maybe we
should survey Earthlink users as to what they like or dislike about
AOL.  Or give a Buick owner a customer satisfaction survey on Kias.  Not
very useful info.

My guess is that the lion's share of the miniscule percentage of the
population that "doesn't listen" to terrestrial radio either claims not to
in order to be different (ie-typical message board misfit), or has such
obscure tastes that no one could possibly please them.  I remember back in
the early 70s a lot of co-workers of mine insisting they never listened to
AM radio...yet they seemed to know most of the current top 40 hits which
were at the time not played on FM.