[BC] WETT Ocean City--More true confessions...

Steve Michaels Productions steve
Thu Jul 6 22:40:03 CDT 2006

I was employed by the Grazier family when WETT was near the Ocean City
airport.  The DA was so tight to the East, that North of 23rd street after
dropping power at night, the station was inaudible.  I was a young kid,
acting as the engineer, doing a morning show, programming the automation and
afternoons on the air.  The owners lived in a mobile home next to the studio
and transmitter site.  This could be a really long story, but for the sake
of brevity, the DA monitor was required to shut off "to save power."

There was a contactor in the phasor that was tied into the power of the
phase monitor that made the pattern more or less ND when the phase monitor
was turned off.  The relay that was tied into the phase monitor was buried
in the bottom of the phasing cabinet, wrapped in foam rubber.

It was finally discovered when the contacts burnt.  I had a pretty spiffy
audio chain--Audimax feeding an RCA BA6A, followed by a consumer graphic EQ,
and a Volumax.  The modulators on the Bauer 707 were always pretty hot on
the kilowatt day power.  It was louder than anything on AM that could be
received on the beach.  And it was very clean until the modulators got soft.
The high level of RF through the bootleg relay finally smoked the contacts
and led to the discovery of the "ND" contactor.

I had to testify in front of an FCC ALJ in OC when they lost their license.