[BC] Re: GE Superadio III - with meters?

Bruce Doerle bdoerle
Thu Jul 6 22:22:25 CDT 2006

I have a Marantz 2235  Receiver with tuning and signal strength meters;
I bought it as my first hifi investment back in the early 70s.  I love
it and it still works including the meter lamps, but has been relegated
to the providing sound for me while in the garage.  I also have a Carver
tuner (TX-8) which actually has a signal strength meter that you can see
works when you use a magnifying glass.  The TX-8 is a signal rack
height; kind of small for a larger meter.  You can pick them up on Ebay
for about $125.

>>> amfan at collins21e.com 7/6/2006 3:42:39 PM >>>
... Call me not impressed.  Does anyone make a decent radio with a
METER for casual use?  I miss having a meter for signal strength and
absolutely abhore LED "meters"

Years ago I had some old Marantz (under the name superscope or
something like that)  portable cassette deck  with an AM (& FM) tuner in
it that was simply awesome and had a signal strenth meter.  That thing
was wonderful but someone stole it from me. That was back around 1980.
I could record DX right on it.  That was back in the days of the Herb
Jepko show. It would pull in stations no other radio could dain to
receive.

To me it is important to have a tuning knob and not digital tuned
radios, i really really can't stand pushing up and down on the arrows to
change the channel.  Most car radios are crap now with all the fiddling
you have to do to hear a station.  I'd rather have a tuning KNOB that I
can dial with, digital readout or not.  My chevy truck has a factory
radio that is digital readout but you can adjust it with the tuning
knob, that's alright by me but it isn't that spectacular of a radio.