[BC] Black Box circuits

Kevin Tekel amstereoexp
Thu Jul 6 16:46:09 CDT 2006

Tom Osenkowsky wrote:
> If you believe you can make your own processor out of
> Radio Shack parts you may have a VERY successful and
> profitable product to market! Go for it!

One engineer in my area, Ronald Michels, actually did build his own audio
processor, and yes, he did use some Radio Shack parts.  The "Rontimod",
as he called it, was on the air for many years at a small AM daytimer
owned by his father (1070 WKMB) and while it certainly wasn't the
smoothest or loudest audio processor ever made, it sounded like no other
processor I have ever heard, and gave WKMB an absolutely unmistakable
"sonic signature".

Would the Rontimod be successful if it was mass-produced?  I dunno...
most people probably wouldn't care for its extreme lack of flexibility.
It was custom-tuned to WKMB's Country music format to such an extent that
the only user-adjustable control was a single "less-more" knob on the
front panel, to tweak the overall level of processing.  That, and one
LED bargraph audio meter, were the only adornments of the industrial-gray
metal box it was housed in.