[BC] WCBS Full time IBOC

Rich Wood richwood
Thu Jul 6 16:45:52 CDT 2006

------ At 12:18 PM 7/6/2006, Tom Dimeo wrote: -------

>This morning, July 6 at 3:56 A.M. I tuned across WCBS and the
>IBOC was on.  Had it confirmed by someone else a bit later.
>
>The noise was making quite a mess on 870 and 890 and
>listening to WWL or WLS would have been very uncomfortable
>even though I have spent many years digging signals out of
>the noise on ham radio.

Is it possible WCBS and a few others are test stations for the
upcoming decision on nighttime IBUZ operation? If that's the case, I
think it's a great idea. I strongly believe IBUZ must be run 24/7.
Stations need to know what needs to be fixed and listeners, when the
market is flooded with IBUZ receivers, won't tolerate almost, kinda,
in a way, sort-of, nearly FM during the day and a 5KHz toilet at
night. Since the revolution is supposed to be complete in 5 years,
it's about time we got to work on making it work. All those receivers
and nothing to listen to. Please exercise restraint in your comments
about program quality once the technical quality becomes stellar in
those 5 years. You need to realize how awesome those voicetracked
jukeboxes can be.

If it's not a test I think Tom Ray needs to throw a tantrum and
insist WOR be allowed 24/7 operation. They were there first.

Rich