[BC] Re: GE Superadio III

Dana Puopolo dpuopolo
Thu Jul 6 15:45:28 CDT 2006

That's because they use varactor tuning. The older superrradios used big,
expensive air variable caps for tuning.

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: "Bob Barnswatts" <amfan at collins21e.com>
Subject: Re: [BC] Re: GE Superadio III

The newest SR3 that I just bought won't stay on frequency, either AM or FM.  I
have to go retune it every 15 minutes or so.  Its really a hunk of crap.  The
one I had before and left outside against all the rules thru rain and hail and
wind and dirt for nearly 10 years before it quit playing didn't have that
problem even before it gave up the ghost.

Call me not impressed.  Does anyone make a decent radio with a METER for
casual use?  I miss having a meter for signal strength and absolutely abhore
LED "meters"

Years ago I had some old Marantz (under the name superscope or something like
that)  portable cassette deck  with an AM (& FM) tuner in it that was simply
awesome and had a signal strenth meter.  That thing was wonderful but someone
stole it from me. That was back around 1980.  I could record DX right on it.
That was back in the days of the Herb Jepko show. It would pull in stations no
other radio could dain to receive.

To me it is important to have a tuning knob and not digital tuned radios, i
really really can't stand pushing up and down on the arrows to change the
channel.  Most car radios are crap now with all the fiddling you have to do to
hear a station.  I'd rather have a tuning KNOB that I can dial with, digital
readout or not.  My chevy truck has a factory radio that is digital readout
but you can adjust it with the tuning knob, that's alright by me but it isn't
that spectacular of a radio.