[BC] Black Box circuits

padrino padrino
Thu Jul 6 15:18:37 CDT 2006

Group,

To my knowledge *all* black box modules or devices used generic parts.
Sure, some were custom to that product, but the actual component(s) came
from some basic device. I know that some processing boxes had IC's that
were special or specific to that unit, but it grew out of basic analog
circuitry. VCA's, even the custom flavors, are some variant of a quadrant
multiplier. Likewise custom opamps are based upon some previous device,
but it contains some specific function that is unique.

Within most black boxed modules you would find off-the-shelf parts, but as
Rob Meuser said, it comes down to the arrangement of the furniture inside
that allows unique operation. Same for digital algorithms. The instruction
set for DSP chips or native microprocessors is all the same. It is how
those instructions are applied that brings about proprietary performance.

-Frank Foti