[BC] RE: delays of radio & TV programs (old timer question)

Chuck Lakaytis chuck
Tue Jul 4 22:26:22 CDT 2006

In the late seventies, Alaska broadcasters had a dubbing facility near
SeaTac Airport.  The news came to Alaska a day late, if the planes were
flying.  All other programming was usually a week or two delayed.  Sometimes
episodes did not arrive so you never found out how a certain show
progressed.

Satellite transmission was a great improvement.  The cable companies used to
have at least a little studio in each town.  When the cable company in
Ketchikan got rid of the local programming they dumped everything in a
dumpster.  I salvaged 3 RCS 44DX mics and got about 25 lighting instruments
for my wife's theater.

On the other hand, cable tv just killed local community organizations.
Ketchikan used to have a huge bridge club and other sorts of things.  That
all went away when our passive couch potato culture took over.

We have a real problem recruiting managers for our bush communities.  Folks
find it hard to entertain themselves.

Chuck Lakaytis
CML Broadcast
Anchorage, AK