[BC] RE: delays of radio & TV programs (old timer question)

Brent Hall bhall
Tue Jul 4 15:02:50 CDT 2006

When I worked at KING-TV Seattle in 1972 we recorded the NBC Nightly News on Quad tape daily for overnight Railway Express shipment (before FED-X and UPS existed) to Anchorage. The Alaska and Hawaii stations always got national news a day late. When I worked at KPNX-TV Phoenix in 1973, network delays were 2 hours since Arizona doesn't have DST. Both KING and KPNX had overnight dub shifts that I worked on to built the money reel. With only 4 quad machines in the station, they had to be available for net delay and post production during the day. If a machine ever broke down, post production was toast for that day. Most stations had a full time guy just assigned to quad machine and film chain maintenance.

-Brent