[BC] Shulke's Black Box

Rich Wood richwood
Tue Jul 4 12:43:33 CDT 2006

------ At 12:15 PM 7/4/2006, Thomas G. Osenkowsky wrote: -------

>Digital wire, OTOH, continuously samples the audio
>thus preserving the original waveform. Digitally sampled
>square waves (such as clipped audio) do not have tilt,
>overshoot or ringing. The additional investment one
>makes in digital wire is repaid in faithful waveform
>reproduction, thus making it the correct choice.

In the case of the vintage Black Box digital wire hadn't been
invented. Properly schooled engineers knew how to avoid tilt by
making absolutely sure the wire ran perfectly horizontal and only
made perfect right and left turns. Without knowing it, they had
wiring configurations that looked and performed like digital. Any
slant in the wire caused tilt. Unfortunately, it was difficult to
wind a transformer in this way. It also required that the wire
reverse direction. A waveform never reverses horizontal (forward)
direction. Time is always moving forward. Ringing was eliminated by
removing any telephones in the room. Earlier incarnations of Dick
Cheney tried to eliminate overshoot without success.

Thanks to our world class research labs at companies like Monster
Cable these analog weaknesses were eliminated and made radio stations
that sound like square waves possible.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia