[BC] 10 kHz spacing / 9 kHz Receiver -- also RDS

R J Carpenter rcarpen
Mon Jul 3 16:02:20 CDT 2006

In addition  to CCrane, Universal Radio near Columbus, OH,
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/index2.html
sells the pocket-book-size radios with 9/10 kHz modes.   I have an
ancient Sony IC2002 with that feature, but it's aged beyond practical
use.  The IC9600 series seems to be the replacement.

The RDS feature in the Sangean 909 means that it eats batteries faster
than some others, from what I've heard.

As far as I know all of the "European" portables (Grundig/Roberts/etc)
are made in the Far East.

======
Quite some years ago I had a rental car in the UK and the radio had
RDS ... but about the only time I found a station sending RDS was when
I was along the English Channel and could get French stations.

BTW, a few weeks ago I was in Florida and the rental Chevy had RBDS.
But the radio insisted on swiching back to a time display after a
couple of seconds no matter what rafio buttons I pushed.  That made
the RDS useless and made radio-geek "tuning-around" very clumsy.  Are
all GM radios like that?  Of course there was no user's manual in the
car.

bob c.