[BC] 10 kHz spacing / 9 kHz Receiver

Bailey, Scott SBailey
Mon Jul 3 14:44:16 CDT 2006

Willie,
   Have you seen any decent AM radios at Wal-Mart that has decent
bandwidth on AM?  I need a monitor for the home stereo and I thought
there may be one they have that has half-way decent bandwidth, and
doesn't sound like a Delco Car Radio, narrowed down to 4 KC!

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of WFIFeng at aol.com
Sent: Monday, July 03, 2006 2:35 PM
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: Re: [BC] 10 kHz spacing / 9 kHz Receiver

In a message dated 07/03/2006 9:17:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jyrussell at academicplanet.com writes:

> patch cord.  Strap it under the dash like a ham rig.
>
>     It doesn't have to be too ugly, as the reciever has enough
selectivity

>  pull in AM/FM with little or no antenna at all.
>  Std.  SW Of course is totally different. It would look a lot like an
XM
unit
>  hanging around in your vehicle.

Unless she's within the 10mv contour, I don't think an under-dash
portable
radio is going to hear very much at all on AM. Remember- the antenna is
a tiny
little ferrite loop. You put it inside a big tin can (the car) then
strap it
right next to some metal, and the reception will be virtually
non-existant.
Years ago, I experimented with portable AM reception in vehicles. Unless
you're
holding the radio up to the window (and turning it almost constantly as
the car
turns) reception is from poor to non-existant.

Rachael, there are a good number of receivers which have dual AM
bandwidth
capability. In many cases, it is a tiny little switch hidden inside the
battery
compartment for portables, elsewhere on the case for automotive units.
I've
seen them on the back, inside the cassette door, and behind the
removable
faceplate.

Willie...