[BC] WiFi Radio

Mark Humphrey mark3xy
Mon Jul 3 08:28:29 CDT 2006

On 7/3/06, Bill Harms <wharms at philcobill.com> wrote:
> Here it is - WiFi Radio.
> Anyway, I don't recall anyone talking about this radio. Has anyone
> had experience with this receiver?

I've been following the launch of the AE, but haven't tried one yet,
since they've been hard to find here in the US..  I think it's based
on the Reciva OEM module, which downloads a list of Internet stations
from Reciva's server to simplify the process of searching for formats,
locations, etc.  Several others use the same technology:

http://www.reciva.com/

I did buy a Roku SoundBridge M500 WiFi "internet tuner" several weeks
ago and it has been working very well.  It lacks an amplifier and
speakers, so I normally have it plugged into the Tivoli Audio "Model
Two" table radio here in my office.   The Roku doesn't download the
station directory from a server like the Reciva units -- instead, you
need to manually save the URL for desired streams in each of the 16
memory presets, but this provides a bit more flexibility because you
can access streams that Reciva doesn't know about yet (or in-house
streams carried on a LAN)

Roku is currently running a $99.99 summer promotion on the M500.

Mark