[BC] Cascading Algorithms

Rich Wood richwood
Mon Jul 3 08:06:05 CDT 2006

------ At 10:32 PM 7/2/2006, John Buffaloe wrote: -------

>All of this reduced data stuff is crap packaged as perfume.  And the
>multitudes are shelling out for it.  Not IBOC, but iPods, Sirius, XM, cell
>phone MP3 players, ad nauseum.  Fine.  That's what they want, then give it
>to them then go home and hug your kids.  Maybe they'll awaken to the
>swinging pendulum and demand more when they hear what good audio sounds like
>in the never ending game of "gadgets."

One of the particularly discouraging things is that live concerts use
similar processing, compression, limiting, etc. I get almost every
recording trade magazine there is. One article will feature an artist
who claims he/she wants clean, natural sound. The next article deals
with the equipment they rent or travel with. Other than the consoles,
bazillion watt amps and Hummer-weight hanging speaker arrays the next
heaviest box contains the processing gear.

It's not new. When I first moved to New York I was invited to a promo
party at the Hard Rock Cafe. It's purpose was to celebrate the
Grammys moving back to New York after years in Los Angeles. It was
followed by a concert at Radio City by Paul Simon and his great new
discovery (first used on Graceland), Ladysmith Black Mombazo. They're
a wonderful African acapella group. The sound folks miked each singer
individually. It took the harmony away since you could now hear each
singer individually - very, very loud. Radio City has great
acoustics. I made a joking whispered comment to the person next to me
before the concert started. Nearly everyone burst out laughing. The
acoustics are so good my comment might as well have come from the
stage. The concert was engineered as though it were on the Great Lawn
in Central Park. Painfully loud and unmusical.

When I lived in Dallas the Boston Symphony appeared at the concert
hall at SMU. Having worked with the orchestra in Boston I knew their
sound very well. They were miked for recording, not for
reinforcement. No reinforcement, at all. It was almost what I
remembered from Boston's Symphony Hall. All the nuances of the
orchestra were there. Minus the acoustics of Boston. I listened to
comments after the concert. "It didn't sound right" was the gist of
younger folks' comments. Even at that time they were so used to
Motown "kissing grooves" and radio station smashing and mashing audio
that that became the standard for "real" music.

Today it's worse. I think that's why I wasn't surprised that young
listeners spend much less continuous time listening to iPods, MP3s
and radio (if they listen at all) than they do CDs. It seems they
need a break. I think I'm going to visit the University of
Massachusetts and see if I can find someone who deals with the
brain's response to sound. I think there's something that's built
into the brain that says "shut that damned thing off. I need a rest"
when the music is distorted.

As we've discussed here, loudness wars aren't limited to radio. Many
artists pick mastering engineers who can cram as much onto a CD as
possible. Looking at most new CDs in Adobe Audition I have to zoom
far in to see any dynamic range at all.

I'm beginning to think a mosh pit's purpose is to quickly get those
up front away from the music so the next victims can get close for a
few minutes.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia