[BC] AudioVault, Now Cascading Algorithms

Rich Wood richwood
Sun Jul 2 08:22:54 CDT 2006

------ At 10:17 PM 7/1/2006, Tom Bosscher wrote: -------

>    I could not agree with you more. This whole MP3 thing has caused
> considerable damage to my head, as I bang it slowly against the wall.

I've added another purpose to my "Where in the World is Carmen IBUZ?"
retailer visits. I'm trying to find out if MP3 or other codec
listeners listen for the same length of time as they did with CDs. I
include both salespeople and customers who are clearly users of
codec-driven products.

I ask "how long can you listen to CDs with good quality earbuds." The
answer from everyone, so far, is some variation of "I can listen for
hours."  The second question is "how long can you listen to your MP3
player with good quality earbuds.?" The last response I got was
"about an hour. It hurts my ears." No discussion of codecs is involved.

I try and include ordinary people, not geeks who can tell you all the
technical details of a codec. In this case "MP3 player" includes any
device with a lossy codec, not just MP3. Since most people listen on
small portable devices, only those are included. Until recently,
satellite radio was an in car listening location, so I'm not
including it. I suspect I'll get the same result. I've already
cancelled my satellite subscriptions due to fatigue, especially Talk
channel artifacts.

We won't know for a very long time if IBUZ suffers the same listener
fatigue. It concerns me because TSL directly affects AQH and sales.
There are nowhere near enough receivers to run scientific field tests
to see if there's any effect. Since proponents are predicting 5 years
for full implementation of IBUZ (2 years to sell 600 million
receivers after a 3 year design, development and marketing process
for small devices). The only BA retailer in my market has sold 3
receivers since they took delivery 2 months ago. Again, they were
sold to radio people not regular consumers who can fill out ARB diaries.

The IBUZ revolution must be bypassing my market in favor of everywhere else.

Rich