[BC] AudioVault, Now Cascading Algorithms

Steve shnewman
Sat Jul 1 22:07:11 CDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Bosscher" <tom at bosscher.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2006 9:17 PM
Subject: Re: [BC] AudioVault, Now Cascading Algorithms

> In this day of corporations who just want to keep lowering the standards,
> I have to congratulate Promo MPE for a job well done. Delivering the songs
> via the net is the future, but there is no reason to lower the quality
> standards. An artist will use a recording studio worth millions, and then
> the label wants to kick the song out as an MP3. If that goes to your MP3
> or Ipod player, that is fine, but just don't try to transcode again.

There is the Ogg-Vorbis format now but let's not go there. Tom, have you
ever worked in a recording studio? Ever mixed a multi-track session? (I
have, for the record... pun intended) Let's use your recording studio quote
here. "studio worth millions". Well, didn't we take masters at one time and
press 45rpm records? What was the better sounding of the two? Well, of
course you said the multi-track master recording. Have you ever run a
recording lathe or looked under a microscope at some of the 45's say from
Motown out of the 60's? Kissing grooves is what they're called. Overmod on
vinyl. Inner Groove Distortion.

You and Powell have made very good, sound arguments but the general public
are bringing these million dollar recordings down to iPod players and less
and you're worried about cascading algorithms? Let's not even get into a
discussion about noise floor or the transmitters and, more important to the
discussion, the receivers/amplifiers. Hey, I don't re-compress Mp3 files. I
master my voice tracks to .WAV and save to 192Kbps (96Kbps mono). They sound
great. I use a Neumann U-87 so the source is clean. My whole argument has
been about what the average joe-blow/josephine blow listener hears. Also,
I'm not using that as an excuse to shove the best I can down the pipe.

I hope this time around my point is a bit more focused.

Now stop banging your head against the wall. :)

Steve Newman
Steve Walker Productions
Opp, AL  36467