[BC] Tower Accident Kills One in Florida (hiring tower crew)

John Hettish jhettish
Sat Jul 1 18:46:18 CDT 2006

This death is either number sixteen or seventeen in 2006 and the year is
only halfway finished.  There have been more deaths in the first half of
2006 than in any complete year in recent tower climbing history possibly
ever.  Most who have died this year have been cell workers who are often
hired for their ability to fog a mirror and receive minimal training.

Often the grieving family will (attempt) to sue the pants of any and
everybody involved with the tower from which the deceased lost his life.  To
be clear on this point the line of those litigated against would include the
tower's owner and anyone who rents space on that tower.  I'm not saying the
family would be successful but once sued the defendant has already lost to
some extent.  Being named in a lawsuit even if later vindicated always costs
money, time and anxiety.

That's why it's highly important to use qualified and safety conscious tower
crew. In the tower business there is always someone willing to do it on the
cheap.  Many of our (tower owning/using)clients these days only concern
themselves with the bottom line.  He who is willing to do it cheaper gets
the job.

I don't know anything of this particular incident just yet other than it
happened.  The crew may have been highly qualified but obviously something
happened that shouldn't have.  I have yet to hear of a tower worker death
due to falling that could not have been prevented.  I'm not one who preaches
100% connection to the structure.  Sure 100% attachment will prevent deaths
but situational awareness will do a lot more toward allowing a tower worker
to go home at night.  I believe not falling has its roots in awareness and
awareness can be taught.  I know I've done it for years.

I have never come close to falling during my 33 year climbing career with
the exception of an almost tumble from a step ladder next to a tower.  I've
trained everyone who ever worked for me and none of them have ever come
close to falling either.  I've always worked closely with my men and never
rush them through a job.

If you hire a crew where the leader is always yelling for them to hurry up
it's my opinion that you've hired the wrong crew.

John Hettish