[BC] WLS dead cxr prob. this a.m. at ~6:50

Dave Dunsmoor mrfixit
Sat Jul 1 07:43:41 CDT 2006

> It was a temperature inversion that scramble Harris 950 link CD Link
> STL.  Over the
> 25 mi path the coding scheme falls apart with this morning's
> temperature inversion.  Its been
> odd past few days with cool nights that drive this link into digital
> fade.    RF level holds but the
> modulation scheme falls apart.  Its must better that the formerly
> used TFT DMM STL that was retired.
>
> Warren Shulz
> WLS CGO

RF level holds, and the (digital) modulation scheme fails? I am CERTAIN that
you guys know far more about this than I do, but if I were taking a quiz,
this
answer would be #5 (out of 4 possible selections) for me.

I could see the RF level dropping below a specified acceptable modulation
recovery
level, but I don't think I understand (yet) how the modulation scheme falls
apart.

Might it have to do with phenomena similar to multipath, and the receiver
cannot accurately
determine what to do with the scrambled bits?

Please elaborate on the theory and practical application of this STL for me
if you
would, please.

thanks,

Dave Dunsmoor