[BC] Legal ID's and accurate information

Douglas B. Pritchett wbzq1300
Thu Aug 31 16:00:24 CDT 2006

Caution: long winded rambles from an old coot:

Barry, while I understand your point emergency situations, may I point
out that there really are 2 issues here. One is the ID issue, the other
is that the broadcaster be complete and accurate with the information
they air during an emergency or critical situation. "a big pile up at
mile marker 35" tells me nothing. "A big pile up in the northbound lanes
of I-25 at mile marker 35 just north of Wilsonville" is better.
Now, the ID question. Much of what we do today finds it's genesis in the
early days of medium. Station D's were required to identify the station
to the authorities in case of interference and/or bad operating
practices. D's also helped an audience in it's infancy find and identify
what station carried Little Orphan Annie. Today, it's different. While I
understand wanting to punish the scofflaws that can't follow simple
parameters of station identification, I offer that the system of
identifying stations these days in antiquated and wholly unnecessary.
First of all, city of license means nothing. Stations serve areas of
listeners. Because a station is licensed to Patterson NJ, does that mean
that people in NYC can't or shouldn't listen to it? I believe stations
should identify by their call letters/Abritron positioner and the area
they serve. As to when they do? Once an hour. If they wanna bury it in
stopset, fine. The average listener does not care. And with all this new
digital technology we have, displaying the ID on an lcd screen along
with the song title, artist, weather forecast and disc jockey's inseam
measurements should be no trouble.

--
Douglas B. Pritchett
Fort Wayne, IN