[BC] Legal ID Question

Bailey, Scott sbailey
Thu Aug 31 08:55:40 CDT 2006

Rich,
   $4000.00 is NOT PEANUTS to a small town, independent operator!  Your
up there in NYC where all the group owners have money like that.  We the
small AM's and LPFMs don't!  Four thousand dollars is a lot to us!

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of Rich Wood
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 8:48 AM
To: Broadcasters' Mailing List
Subject: Re: [BC] Legal ID Question

------ At 12:35 AM 8/31/2006, Steve Newman wrote: -------

>No....they're playing games so they can do their own thing at the
>top. Fancy production sweeper. (bury the calls in a lower break and
>leave the top open for some fancified production element.
>
>I'd say they're not playing by the rules. They're not operating
>within the spirit of the FCC definition.

The legal ID is a little more than a "spirit." I think the FCC has
the right idea. Make the fines so huge that they can't be considered
a cost of doing business. Right now a $4000 fine for an ID violation
is peanuts. The focus is on the big deficit-reducing stuff that gets
the nation's prudes into action. No listener cares about an ID. They
do care about nekkid people. Protecting the kids, you know.

Rich