[BC] Yet another HD ... XM HD

Rich Wood richwood
Tue Aug 29 15:14:43 CDT 2006

------ At 12:18 PM 8/29/2006, Mark Humphrey wrote: -------

>Why do companies like Clear Channel and CBS still insist on "blowing
>up" stations, rather than moving heritage (but allegedly
>under-billing) formats over to the secondary HD channels, and
>promoting this for a few weeks in advance so listeners have the
>opportunity to buy HD receivers?

Economics. There won't be enough IBUZ receivers in New York or
Philadelphia to support any HD only format for a decade or more, if
ever. If it's not on your analog signal it doesn't exist. In the case
of WCBS-FM it would have cost a fortune to keep the format intact
with very expensive heritage talent. Bruce Morrow isn't going to work
for scale. The format was more than the music. If you were the CEO of
CBS would you spend millions on a format no one could hear? The
satellite companies did it. They had 100+ channels in place before
they sold receivers, otherwise, why buy a receiver? This is the
conundrum IBUZ faces. No receivers and no "real radio" formats in
digital to cause listeners to spend the money even if they knew there
was such a thing as IBUZ.

If I remember correctly, when WCBS-FM blew up the only receiver
available was the Kenwood $400 tuner that required a compatible
in-dash radio to go with it. Despite its traffic, many New Yorkers
don't have cars or even driver's licenses. Unless you're a commuter
you have no need for a car. Even commuters beyond the subways have
thousands of daily trains and busses going almost everywhere. Of all
places, New York most needs the portable receiver that no one makes.

>The "Smooth Jazz" format on WJJZ here in Phialdelphia was "blown up" a
>few weeks ago in favor of mediocre AC, but it took CC three weeks to
>realize that it might make sense to retain the old format on WJJZ's
>HD-2 channel.  Meanwhile, the damage has been done -- see listener
>comments on this page:

Again, because no market has receivers in enough numbers to get
numbers, WJJZ's Smooth Jazz will remain blown up for a very long
time. Is the HD-2 format the same as the analog format was or is it a
voicetracked jukebox? Can you walk around the city and listen to it?
Even in medium markets EACH STATION must have tens of thousands of
receivers to get ratings they can sell. This also assumes listeners
understand the WXXX-HD1 and WXXX-HD2 concept and reports the correct
one to Arbitron. The only way to be sure is the Arbitron PeopleMeter
that captures a unique signal encoded and broadcast on each channel.

While I understand the listeners' anger, blowing up stations has been
going on for decades. How many people on this list have been victims
of a format that was created off site and brought in overnight? Not
even the employees knew they were toast until they weren't allowed in
the building. Sometimes, for competitive reasons, all this has to be
done in absolute secrecy. Often even the record companies that could
supply material aren't told. Music is purchased at many different
locations so no one gets curious.

You can't blame Clear Channel or CBS. Virtually every company has
done it in some market in the past. I have to admit I've been part of
blowing up several stations. I've also exposed a few competitors I
suspected were going to be blown up by using their slogans before
they blew up. I did it to KJQY, San Diego. I checked FCC records and
discovered a format and call letter change was in the works and
easily guessed their positioning was going to be K-JOY. I started to
use the term joy in every break on XTRA to associate the word with
XTRA. With massive promotion it still took them quite a while to
overtake XTRA. XTRA changed format just before the book came out with
a huge 4.7 share. Never to be repeated. The GM of KJQY was extremely
upset. He asked me how I found out. Industrial espionage was easy in
the days when the FCC required you to list your format.

You simply can't announce your plans and hope your competition
doesn't get wind of it. I haven't seen it lately but you used to be
able to buy hard drives with complete libraries on them. Plug them in
and you have a new format. There's really nothing new here. It's a
grand tradition.

Rich