[BC] Legal ID Question

Mark W. Croom markc
Tue Aug 29 14:55:21 CDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike McCarthy" <Towers at mre.com>
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 10:55 AM
Subject: RE: [BC] Legal ID Question

>I wouldn't call it a raid. As far as I was told by the people there, they
>were inspected as usual. The question posed was "By what authority do you
>have to operate this antenna?"  Plug pulled...simple as that.  I don't
>recall if there were any other citations or violations noted.  The stations
>were fairly legal otherwise....much to the chagrin of the managing partner
>who didn't want to spend much money on anything, let alone be legal.  I
>buried so much stuff in my bills for keeping them legal that when the
>primary investor called asking about what happened, he quickly understood
>the problems were not at the station level and that misleading operating
>management in that way was warranted so as to protect them as much as
>practical.

In 1991 I worked for a WCFL co-channel station that was located to the east.
Our ownership was one of the entities that complained to the FCC. Though I
was not involved in the run-up to that or the complaint itself, ISTR that
our Owner/GM tried to contact the owners to get their side of the story, but
I don't remember the outcome of that.

I participated with a representative of our consulting firm in field
strength measurements around the antenna site which showed to our
satisfaction that the station was not operating directionally. The data we
acquired was used to support ownership's request that the Commission verify
that WCFL was being operated according to its license.

That was an interesting trip.

Mark
MN