[BC] Legal ID Question

Mike McCarthy Towers
Mon Aug 28 10:56:44 CDT 2006

I wouldn't call it a raid. As far as I was told by the people there, they
were inspected as usual. The question posed was "By what authority do you
have to operate this antenna?"  Plug pulled...simple as that.  I don't
recall if there were any other citations or violations noted.  The stations
were fairly legal otherwise....much to the chagrin of the managing partner
who didn't want to spend much money on anything, let alone be legal.  I
buried so much stuff in my bills for keeping them legal that when the
primary investor called asking about what happened, he quickly understood
the problems were not at the station level and that misleading operating
management in that way was warranted so as to protect them as much as
practical.

The primary investor is a pretty good guy.  It's unfortunate he got into
business with the managing partner who made all the day to day
decisions.  They ended up losing about $4M between all the stations in the
company.  The two local stations were bought for $3.2M (in 1989) and sold
for less than 1/2 that 4 years later...split up.  The company was
liquidated and the senior debt holders only got 30% on their investment.
The rest were all SOL.  I lost about $2800 in the whole mess....but it
could have been worse....far worse.

MM

At 11:33 AM 8/28/2006 -0400, Dan Kelley wrote